September 30, 2009

wall art

Finally! I have my camera back now, so I can start taking pictures of the projects I have been doing! The minute I saw this post from Thrifty Decor Chic, I had to go out and put this idea to work myself. I think it turned out fabulous! Now, I know she used 9 boards, but the wall I was wanting to place this on was to narrow, so I kept it simple with the 6 boards. Thrifty Decor Chic outlines the steps to making this (and includes more pictures), but I also have them listed below if you are eager to get started! I have also listed 2 small things I would change to make it easier if I were to do this again in the future.


  • Pick out your 12 x 12 inch scrapbook paper pattern. I went the cheapo route and just picked colors/patterns that I liked and that were on sale! (mine were 0.42 cents a piece!)
  • Go to Lowes or Home Depot and have them cut MDF Particle Board (Medium Grade) into 12 x 12 inch squares (board cost $7.42 for me, cuts were free). Keep in mind size does matter here! My guy cut 3 of my boards 1/4 of an inch too long and since the paper is a set size, I do have a slight boarder going on.
  • Paint or Spray paint the trim of the boards. I did mine in black to match the gray room they were being placed in better.
  • Taking spray mount, spray the paper and boards and adhere the two.
  • Now, you can either place picture brackets on the back of the boards, or nail through to hang them. Since I may move these in the future, I went ahead and placed picture brackets on the back of each one ($3.50 for 6).

Don't they just look fabulous! And they fill the space so well! The thing I love best about these (besides the really inexpensive cost) is that when I get bored with these patterns, I'm just going to spray mount new scrapbook pieces! Love it!

Now, two things I would do differently if I were to do this again:
  • Have them cut 11 x 11 boards, so the 12 x 12 paper overhangs and you take an etching knife to trim the excess. That way the paper is flush to the edges and you don't have to worry about lining it up 100% perfectly.
  • Paint the trim...I spray painted it this time and I personally think I am just not a good spray painter...I made the biggest mess! Again, probably just me.
In any case, this project was super fun, super easy and super cheap! If you have a blank wall and some time, give this a shot and let me know! I'd love to see what patterns you picked out!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

These are AWESOME Kim!!! What a cool idea. I personally love these patterns, but having the option to change is so cool too! So glad you have your camera back, I look forward to seeing all your new projects! :)

Stacey said...

I love this!!! It's very similar to our Bombay plaques (in the stairway), but much less AND fun to make! You did a great job!!

Roeshel said...

I love this project too! Your is super cute! Great job! ;)

Roeshel

Team Skousen said...

Yeah! I remember this post from her! I like the colors you chose for them. So cute!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I love the colors you used!! This looks great.

Post a Comment

I appreciate you checking out my blog. I welcome any comments and ideas! Remember, these ideas I share are just a thought...a polka-dot thought! Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails