September 22, 2009

Vintage Picture Viewing


I'm kicking it back old school today! Now, I must say I haven't actually attempted to make this yet, but as soon as I get my hands on one of these vintage toys, I'm SO trying this!

Awhile ago my coworker brought in a View Master toy. Go ahead and flash back to the 80s when you remember checking out the coolest movie slides while aiming the View Master to the light. Well, the one he brought in had personal pictures in it! Maybe this is common, but my View Master only had the Disney characters in it, never me! His brother actually made it (AND in 3D!), but he had a lot of cool tools to do this.

So, I got to thinking how an average person could make it and here are my thoughts...what if we took this old toy, poked out the Disney character frames and replaced it with our own film negatives? This may work, but won't be in 3D. The images would also have to be zoomed out a good bit because the 35mm negatives are a lot larger (26mm x 36mm) compared to the View Master slide (12.9mm x 11.9mm). I know you can buy a special camera to make the View Master slides for you, or you could pay a photo company...but who wants to do that? I'm convinced we can do this with what we already have!


Another idea I had was printing the images at the correct size on a transparency sheet. This may be the best option because you will get the correct size. You could even go ahead and create the 3D image in Photoshop and print it from your home printer on the transparency. You would just need to cut it out and assemble, and viola!

Anyway, like I said, I'm definitely going to make this soon. It is on my list, I just need to get me an old View Master first! If you already have one, give it a shot! I'm sure it would make an adorable personalized gift for a niece or nephew.

Just a thought...a polka-dot thought!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I loved those as a kid. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
And thanks for stopping by Happy Nester and leaving such a nice comment.

Post a Comment

I appreciate you checking out my blog. I welcome any comments and ideas! Remember, these ideas I share are just a thought...a polka-dot thought! Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails